Monday, July 4, 2011

PBWL - An update FINALLY!

So this morning when I stepped on to the scale, I was expecting to see the number I've seen for as long as I can remember: 138.4. Seeing the same number over and over and over again was getting old but I just kept reminding myself  "You're maintaining, not gaining. That is a victory.".

As I was getting set to repeat that sentence to myself for the millionth time, this popped up on my scale...

{136.4}

WHAA?! Two pounds?! I can't believe it. THAT, my friends, is a victory :-)

Now let me tell you how I did it. I've started running. Not far, not fast, just running as far as I can for as long as I can.

Remember when I said I started going to the gym with a friend three times a week? We were doing so well, running on the treadmill and lifting weights. But recently some illnesses (mine and hers) have come up which hindered us keeping up with our schedule. I have been itching to test out my new {acutal!} running shoes and since I couldn't get to the gym, I decided to put my fears of running outside aside. I packed up the fam and we headed to Gray's Lake to walk/run the trail. Once I got a taste of outside running, I. Was. Hooked.

I've always heard running outside is harder than on a treadmill. It was quite the opposite for me. Running on concrete allowed me to run at my own pace and distance instead of "racing" the person next to me. I ran over half a mile - without stopping or walking - for the first time in my entire life. On the treadmill, I was constantly watching the clock instead of listening to my body. Outside, I just run. I push myself to just make it to the next tree, next fence, next driveway.

It's a glorious feeling to push yourself out of your comfort zone. I highly recommend you all try it :-)

1 comment:

  1. If this were a facebook status, I'd be liking the hell out of it! I'll bring my running shoes with me in August and we can take a jog together :D

    ReplyDelete